BIRNS Millennium Series Connectors
BIRNS Millennium™ miniature, high-density metal shell underwater connectors set the benchmark for elevated bandwidth delivery—they are the most advanced connectors of their type, and are meticulously qualified and tested. Created for rigorous use, the BIRNS Millennium series provides versatile, high performance solutions, delivering maximum data and power for extreme depth applications. Tailored for demanding power or challenging signal applications and electromechanical applications (to 3 tons), the series is rated to 500V, and can be configured for high voltage. Hybrid electro-optical options can include both high voltage (≤ 3.6kV) and low voltage (≤600V) conductors, and all non-coax configurations can be rated to withstand high open face pressure to 6,000m. BIRNS’ new coax contacts have a maximum insertion loss of 0.7 dB at signal frequencies to 3GHz, with an associated maximum SWR of 1.7:1 and withstand open face hydrostatic pressure to depths of 1433m so far in initial testing protocols, with more testing currently under way. This new design provides incredible ease of assembly and connects directly to a standard MIL-STD-348 SMA connector.
- Can be rated for open faced high pressure to 6km
- High contact density for maximized payload efficacy
- Unmatched performance with extreme data signal loads
- 15° lead-in angle construction for dual o-ring longevity and reliability
- Replaceable inserts, with BIRNS’ exclusive solder pot features
- Thick gold plating of contacts per MIL-G-45204, Type II, Class 1 (50 microns of hard gold)
Click on any Pin Configuration Image Icon below for additional product details.
Additional Product Information:
This versatile, high performance connector series reliably transmits huge data streams while minimizing electrical noise—typical loss recorded for a singlemode cable assembly of the series is .1dB, in accordance with ANSI/TIA/EIA-455 for fiber optic insertion loss test procedures. Fiber optic configurations for the series may have different overall dimensions than standard BIRNS Millennium electrical connectors. Contact the BIRNS sales team (email@example.com) for detailed technical information.
Each connector provides elevated contact density with 50 microns of hard gold contact plating, and has standard exclusive BIRNS features like dual self-guiding stainless steel keys and keyways for positive indexing. They are engineered with a 15° molded internal o-ring lead-in chamfer specially angled to ensure the dual o-rings’ longevity and reliability. Each insert’s solder pots are scalloped and face out from center for ease of wiring access. Solder pots are insulated with GRE part way up the shaft and after termination, heat shrink tubing is placed over the entire conductive area for a completely insulated termination, which prevents electrical interference between pins.
- Heat-treated BeCu sockets
- Positive stainless steel stops preclude over-tightening
- Dual stainless steel keys/keyways for positive indexing
- Square “Acme” threads resist mechanical damage
- Redundant dual o-rings for effective sealing
- Configurable for both “solid” and “oil-filled” cables
- Available in competitors’ mounting configurations to facilitate replacement
- Permit the use of 22, 20, 16, 14 and 10 AWG contacts in the same connector, without need for cumbersome incompatible “Regular and Long” shell sizes
The series can be made with special mounting configurations that can be designed to conform to MIL-C-24217/4-005 specs, to provide a seamless upgrade option for legacy equipment. For creating complete cable assembly systems, all of BIRNS’ expert electrical technicians are Certified IPC Specialists per J-STD-001 Class 3, and BIRNS’ optical technicians are ETA-I certified.